I’ll be taking the next 10 days off for a much needed vacation in Florida and The Bahamas. What do I want to do during those days? A little of these…
And a lot of this…
I’ll be traveling with Tina of the Tightrope Traveler and our itinerary includes Miami Beach, Key West and Freeport (Bahamas). Yes, I know that looks like a very cliché Florida beach trip, but what can you do? Everything’s already booked.
This will actually be my first real trip to Florida. I’ve been to Chattahoochee (not making that name up) but I don’t think I got the entire Florida experience. Below are some of the things on my to-do list that will hopefully provide the experience I’m looking for.
- Cuban Food – The Miami area is known to have the best Cuban food outside of well…Cuba. My roommate, whose parents are from Cuba, insists that I must try the fritas at El Rey De Las Fritas. A frita is a Cuban burger that consists of ground beef/chorizo patties, topped with shoestring potatoes and various types of condiments. I have yet to turn down a burger recommendation and I don’t plan to start now.
- Miami Nightlife – Maybe it’s because of all the rap videos and Bad Boys movies, but I’m curious to experience the Miami Beach nightlife. More specifically, bring on the reggaeton and salsa!
- Everglades National Park – The entire park is over a million acres of subtropical wilderness. It has been designated a World Heritage Site, International Biosphere Reserve, and Wetland of International Importance. Alligators, panthers, bobcats, bald eagles, rattlesnakes and soon, me, are some of the wildlife you’ll find in the Everglades. I will be looking forward to exploring some of the trails.
- Ernest Hemingway Drinking Tour – Carl Grooms of Coastlines & Tan Lines brilliantly laid out the How to Drink Like Hemingway in Key West guide. This drinking tour is basically a 5-hour history drinking lesson with specific rules and times when you’d have to be at certain bars because that’s how Hemingway did it. A history lesson I’ll be looking forward to.
- Scuba Diving – If I had to choose to either dive with sharks, in the coral reefs or shipwreck site, I’d pick all of the above. We’ll see if time permits.
Tina and I will be posting live updates of our trip so make sure you follow us @mygo2it and @crozul. Look out for awesome videos and trip recaps after we come back. As always, let me know if you have any tips on places I should definitely see. If you’re in the South Florida area and would like to meet up, let me know!